- Ions are charged atoms. Positively charged ions are called
while negative ions are known as anions.
- If an atom gives away or receives electrons from another atom, it will be
- An atom gives away or receives electrons because it wants to
become electronically more stable (i.e. have a
outer shell of electrons like the noble gases).
- An atom will have a positive charge if it gives away its electrons to
- An atom will have a negative charge if it receives electrons from another
- If an atom gives away or receive electrons, it will then have an
number of electrons and protons.
[ Formation of cation ] [ Formation of anion ] [ Formation of compounds ]