- An atoms is made up of a nucleus and one or more
- The nucleus is the centre of the atom and it consists of
neutrons and protons.
- From the diagram above, we can see that :
|the electrons are
|the protons are
|the neutrons has
- The electrons move around the nucleus in a random motion and the region
where electrons are most likely to be found is called an orbital or electron
cloud. (The maximum number of electrons in a shell is given by the
formula 2n2 , where n is the number of electron shells.)
- An atom has no charge because it contains the
same number of protons and electrons.
[ What are atoms made of ] [ Structure of atom ] [ Representing atoms ] [ Electron arrangement in atom ] [ Isotopes ]